Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Question Is Why.

Because. Because even though you say you won’t, you will drop one or more ice cubes on the floor, causing puddles that I’ll slip on, or soak my sock in later. Because you will close the freezer door almost all the way, enough that it looks closed and fools the alarm into thinking it’s closed, but tomorrow, everything will be covered with frost crystals. Because you will track sand and dirt all over the floor, and even though you say you’ll take your shoes off, you’ll probably forget. If you do take your shoes off, you will either go back outside in stocking feet, or come bug me to put them back on because you’re too lazy to do it yourself. Because you’ll leave the screen slider open a half inch, just enough to allow an entire army of flies and mosquitoes into our house. Because you will leave a stack of wrong-color cups on the floor in front of the cupboard. Because you will splash water all over the counter top, and then wipe it up with Kleenex. Because you will drink two sips of the water and then use the rest to make a mud puddle. Because you’ll leave the empty cup directly in front of the door for me to step on. And because if I explain all this to you, you will argue each and every point, and cry and promise not to do any of these things. But you will. You will do all of these things. And a few I can’t even imagine.

2 comments:

  1. Because!! Haha, yes, that is a good enough answer, in my book!! Because of ALL OF THE ABOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my children leave the house ONE MORE TIME with just socks on their feet, I swear I'm going to... tell them again not to. I really wish I had more in my arsenal... But I think I'm parenting by repetition these days. Oh, well. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is where you write something so I know you were here. And where I will sometimes write back.